Writing this post made me realize how poorly some of us treat ourselves.
Self-care is any activity that we do deliberately in order to take care of our mental, emotional, and physical health. Although it’s a simple concept in theory, it’s something we very often overlook. Good self-care is key to improved mood and reduced stress. It’s also key to a good relationship with oneself and others.
Before we go any further, answer this. How do you currently take care of yourself?
If you’re a young Nigerian, you’re probably extremely stressed out , because first, you’re Nigerian. I know for a fact that just going about your daily activities without putting deep thought into how its affecting you is probably the easiest thing to do what with the feeling that this is your best years and you need to make the most of it, goals and all. But you need to be alive first . Caring for yourself doesn’t have to be expensive or time consuming, because if we want to be honest, we don’t have that much AND we’re always in a hurry
So, here are my favourite inexpensive self care tips to help you feel happy and rejuvenated even when life gets stressful af
- Block out some me time. It could be an hour or even a full day but keep time out to be alone and do things that you love.
- Treat yourself. You are almost always working so it’s wise to treat yourself to a pamper session occasionally. It doesn’t have to be a spa session, you can run yourself a bath with some scented soaps , go for a mani-pedi and chill with a copy of Vogue while at it.
- Turn down. Bright lights can be jarring at times, turn the lights down low and your body will feel better relaxed.
- Welcome Positivity. Have you ever been around or spoken to someone and you’re just drained at the end? Well, limit time spent with that person.
- Do something today that will help you tomorrow. Pack your bag for work the night before, make your lunch, organize your planner. It may seem like work but it’s actually going to help you feel more at ease and relaxed the next day.
- Talk to or make plans with someone you find fun to be around. some people know how to make you relax, you can be yourself with them so, be.
- Buy your favorite food. Even if it’s not ”healthy”, if you love it, eat it. Occasionally.
- Read a book or visit olliealley and chill. Lol, you didn’t think I was going to not include our blog here, did you?
- This one might sound somehow but…Block people who bother you on social media. These people include but are not lmited to people who make insulting comments on your posts after you have or have not given it back to them. It here refers to throwing their stupidity and/or ignorance back to them because everyone can be foolish but not everyone can be wise. Yeah, then there are the ones filling your social media with annoying pictures. Block them. You’ll feel better.
- Create and listen to a popping playlist. Something that makes you want to smile, dance or helps you remember a positive time in your life.
- This tip is for Lagosians. Use the time spent in traffic to plan your day, night or tasks you need to do.
Which of these do you already do? Which are you going to adopt. It is the weekend lovelies, try to chill.